Monday, October 10, 2011

Tom Yum Soup

I attended a Thai cooking demo last month and the guest chefs were Jay Gamboa and Wati of Azuthai.  One of the recipes they shared was Tom Yum.  When I went to Farmers Market last week, I was able to buy galanggal and dayap.  It is a good thing you can now get hard to find ingredients from the stall of Beth (440-1890 or 0917-854-7855).

Tom Yum Soup (Azuthai)



2 C. shrimp broth (boil the head and skin of the shrimps in 2 cups water)
1 pc kaffir lime leaf, torn
3 slices galanggal, 1/3 inch thick
1 stalk lemon grass, bruised
button mushrooms, quartered
oyster mushrooms



Bring the shrimp stock to a boil and add all the above, simmer for five minutes then add the following:

1 T. Thai Fish Sauce ( Can not be patis)



1 T. dayap juice
2 t. Thai chili paste



3 pcs. prawns
coriander leaves

When prawns are cooked, about 1 minute, place in bowl.  Top with coriander leaves.



I doubled this recipe because I had 7 pieces of big white shrimps in the freezer.  I ate a whole pot of soup but no rice.  It was delicious, imagine, I did not use any knorr cube to make this soup very tasty.  All fresh ingredients.



The professional chefs frown upon instant soup mixes or bouillon.

The Tom Yum will go well with Pomelo Salad and Thai grilled pork!  Yummmmm!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment